Generation Trance
Vote for GT  at The DJ List! Vote for GT and Project C at The DJ List! Vote for Project C  at The DJ List!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Chat   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Trance Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lazi. I tried to upload a pic to photobucket and it didn't work in Kubuntu. Can you recommend me a place where you can post pics that work with Linux?
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi. I tried to upload a pic to photobucket and it didn't work in Kubuntu. Can you recommend me a place where you can post pics that work with Linux?

As long as the image has a .png, .gif, .jpg/jpeg, or .bmp extension, you should be fine for any host. Just make sure you save it. I would recommend the PNG format. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi. I tried to upload a pic to photobucket and it didn't work in Kubuntu. Can you recommend me a place where you can post pics that work with Linux?

As long as the image has a .png, .gif, .jpg/jpeg, or .bmp extension, you should be fine for any host. Just make sure you save it. I would recommend the PNG format. Wink


No it's because there's some compatibility issues with Konqueror. I switched to Firefox and it worked fine. Embarassed
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lazi. I tried to install J2RE and it screwed up and now I can't update my packages because it says Adept is already in use. How do I fix it so I can use Adept again?
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi. I tried to install J2RE and it screwed up and now I can't update my packages because it says Adept is already in use. How do I fix it so I can use Adept again?

I'm not sure. The best thing to do would be to post on the Kubuntu forums.

You can always just try and kill the Adept process and see if that helps. Also, manually installing J2RE may be a work-around, but I don't know if it will help with the Adept problem.

I'm really not sure on this one. Sorry. Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi. I tried to install J2RE and it screwed up and now I can't update my packages because it says Adept is already in use. How do I fix it so I can use Adept again?

I'm not sure. The best thing to do would be to post on the Kubuntu forums.

You can always just try and kill the Adept process and see if that helps. Also, manually installing J2RE may be a work-around, but I don't know if it will help with the Adept problem.

I'm really not sure on this one. Sorry. Confused


Ok well then do you use Kaffeine? Do you know how to resize the movie? Not the software screen inside the area but the movie itself. Plus I tried resizing in Mplayer and don't know how either and it reads off my E: drive instead of my D: drive. D and E are both cdrom/dvdrom drives.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Trends recently updated their online "popularity" meter and Ubuntu remains the clear No.1 Linux distro in terms of search trend. Fedora and Debian seem to be battling for the second position, while SuSE had a small "trend" loss in the 3rd place. Then, we find Gentoo, Mandriva, then Red Hat and Kubuntu. While this trend meter is not an official Linux distro market/mind share, it's considered a pretty good approximation. Meanwhile, Fedora seems more strong in USA, while SuSE in Europe.

http://google.com/trends?q=ubuntu%2C+fedora%2C+suse%2C+debian%2C+gentoo&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't give two ***** if Kubuntu was in 10th place. I still love it and I think it rocks totally. Mandriva is like the good old dos days, very basic and generic. OpenSuse is kinda cool but too complicated and technical; took me at least 15 mins to find stuff in there. Fedora was not bad but I didn't care for it that much though. Ubuntu was good for me and the average beginner starting out, but I found it to be too limited in a lot of ways. I know Kubuntu is only a graphical version of Ubuntu using KDE (K Desktop Environment), but the way it's designed, it just suits my needs perfectly for me. I've never seen Gentoo, Red Hat or Debian. I wonder what those are like.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
I couldn't give two ***** if Kubuntu was in 10th place. I still love it and I think it rocks totally. Mandriva is like the good old dos days, very basic and generic. OpenSuse is kinda cool but too complicated and technical; took me at least 15 mins to find stuff in there. Fedora was not bad but I didn't care for it that much though. Ubuntu was good for me and the average beginner starting out, but I found it to be too limited in a lot of ways. I know Kubuntu is only a graphical version of Ubuntu using KDE (K Desktop Environment), but the way it's designed, it just suits my needs perfectly for me. I've never seen Gentoo, Red Hat or Debian. I wonder what those are like.

Don't even bother trying to install Gentoo. Unless you have strong programming skills and know how to compile your kernel from the command line, I wouldn't recommend it.

Basically, Ubuntu/Kubuntu are based off of Debian, so you won't see a whole lot of difference there.

It's been a while since I've played with Red Hat. It's pretty much the same as Fedora, except it's an enterprise-level Linux distribution.

And really, if you want to measure what is and isn't popular, I suggest visitiong www.netcraft.com and www.distrowatch.org. They are more accurate and less biased. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who wants to learn about Linux, I found a great site here:

http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/chap1.php
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Anyone who wants to learn about Linux, I found a great site here:

http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/chap1.php

That's where I started, too! Long time ago...what, two years? Laughing

Good stuff! Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Anyone who wants to learn about Linux, I found a great site here:

http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/chap1.php

That's where I started, too! Long time ago...what, two years? Laughing

Good stuff! Smile


No one told me about. It would have really helped me 3 months ago.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lazi, I tried burning Ubuntu Studio but Nero is being a jackass about it. How do I burn this 900 mb on a dvd? I mean seriously there are no 900mb cds. Get serious Nero! Rolling Eyes Question Yes I still use Windows XP on a dual boot so there's some things I do in Windows as well as in Linux.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi, I tried burning Ubuntu Studio but Nero is being a jackass about it. How do I burn this 900 mb on a dvd? I mean seriously there are no 900mb cds. Get serious Nero! Rolling Eyes Question Yes I still use Windows XP on a dual boot so there's some things I do in Windows as well as in Linux.

A lot of people dual-boot with Windows and Linux side by side. Wink

Unless it's a bad ISO image, you should be able to. Does Nero recognize the blank disk as a DVD?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi, I tried burning Ubuntu Studio but Nero is being a jackass about it. How do I burn this 900 mb on a dvd? I mean seriously there are no 900mb cds. Get serious Nero! Rolling Eyes Question Yes I still use Windows XP on a dual boot so there's some things I do in Windows as well as in Linux.

A lot of people dual-boot with Windows and Linux side by side. Wink

Unless it's a bad ISO image, you should be able to. Does Nero recognize the blank disk as a DVD?


Well my friend thinks I should go straight Linux. I told him I'd rather dual boot in case I encounter a problem then I can go back to Windows till I fix the problem. Linux can be full of bugs as much as Windows can as I have seen with Kubuntu these days. Yeah it does. That's why it gave a wrong disc format error. Confused Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to use a program like Cdburner Xp Pro to burn it. It's freeware too! Smile Then I installed it and guess what it gave me an x desktop configuration error. So I give up. All that downloading time and work for a program that doesn't even run. Confused Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
I had to use a program like Cdburner Xp Pro to burn it. It's freeware too! Smile Then I installed it and guess what it gave me an x desktop configuration error. So I give up. All that downloading time and work for a program that doesn't even run. Confused Rolling Eyes

If X doesn't load, that usually means a graphics error. I'm guessing that it doesn't like your video card...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
I had to use a program like Cdburner Xp Pro to burn it. It's freeware too! Smile Then I installed it and guess what it gave me an x desktop configuration error. So I give up. All that downloading time and work for a program that doesn't even run. Confused Rolling Eyes

If X doesn't load, that usually means a graphics error. I'm guessing that it doesn't like your video card...


Damn. I really wanted to use it. It's a real nice program.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
I had to use a program like Cdburner Xp Pro to burn it. It's freeware too! Smile Then I installed it and guess what it gave me an x desktop configuration error. So I give up. All that downloading time and work for a program that doesn't even run. Confused Rolling Eyes

If X doesn't load, that usually means a graphics error. I'm guessing that it doesn't like your video card...


Damn. I really wanted to use it. It's a real nice program.

You may just have to enter some parameters in a terminal. I would suggest checking out their forums for help.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
I had to use a program like Cdburner Xp Pro to burn it. It's freeware too! Smile Then I installed it and guess what it gave me an x desktop configuration error. So I give up. All that downloading time and work for a program that doesn't even run. Confused Rolling Eyes

If X doesn't load, that usually means a graphics error. I'm guessing that it doesn't like your video card...


Damn. I really wanted to use it. It's a real nice program.

You may just have to enter some parameters in a terminal. I would suggest checking out their forums for help.


It crashed and I wasn't allowed to enter anything. Yeah maybe I guess I could so more reading. Man I hate reading. Confused Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
It crashed and I wasn't allowed to enter anything. Yeah maybe I guess I could so more reading. Man I hate reading. Confused Rolling Eyes

There's a way to bypass automatic startup of the OS. When it's done manually, you're given the opportunity to enter commands that way.

Reading is what invigorates the mind, keeping it sharp! Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
It crashed and I wasn't allowed to enter anything. Yeah maybe I guess I could so more reading. Man I hate reading. Confused Rolling Eyes

There's a way to bypass automatic startup of the OS. When it's done manually, you're given the opportunity to enter commands that way.

Reading is what invigorates the mind, keeping it sharp! Smile


So Ubuntu Studio is an OS? I thought it was a multimedia program for Linux. Embarassed Wow I am so far out there these days that it's not funny. Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
It crashed and I wasn't allowed to enter anything. Yeah maybe I guess I could so more reading. Man I hate reading. Confused Rolling Eyes

There's a way to bypass automatic startup of the OS. When it's done manually, you're given the opportunity to enter commands that way.

Reading is what invigorates the mind, keeping it sharp! Smile


So Ubuntu Studio is an OS? I thought it was a multimedia program for Linux. Embarassed Wow I am so far out there these days that it's not funny. Rolling Eyes


Here's the info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio

Quote:
Ubuntu Studio is an official derivative of the Ubuntu Linux distribution, which is explicitly geared to general multimedia production. It was released 2007-05-10.


Yup, it's a specialized version of Ubuntu. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lazi. My Pinnacle tv card is detected by Kubuntu but yet it won't play on any tv software. Why is that? Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi. My Pinnacle tv card is detected by Kubuntu but yet it won't play on any tv software. Why is that? Rolling Eyes

What's the model of your TV card?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Trance Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Powered by CloudFlare