Generation Trance
Vote for GT  at The DJ List! Vote for GT and Project C at The DJ List! Vote for Project C  at The DJ List!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Chat   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
So out of all the distros of Linux, you think Ubuntu is the best?

Well, based on what I've heard, read, and seen, yes. I've heard nothing negative about it really.

And as for ATI writing drivers for your video card in Linux, there are a ton of people lobbying them, so it may come sooner than you think. Smile
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
So out of all the distros of Linux, you think Ubuntu is the best?

Well, based on what I've heard, read, and seen, yes. I've heard nothing negative about it really.

And as for ATI writing drivers for your video card in Linux, there are a ton of people lobbying them, so it may come sooner than you think. Smile

Oh really? A lot of people are wanting an ATI Tv Wonder USB 2.0 external tuner card driver for linux? That's awesome news. I didn't know that many people had one.
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE: The ATI All-in-Wonder cards (which are not the same as the ATI TV Wonder, TV Wonder VE or TV Wonder Pro) will not work as a MythTV capture device because the GATOS http://gatos.sourceforge.net drivers that are available provide only a limited subset of the V4L API. The TV Wonder series of cards are supported by the Bt8x8 Video4Linux driver.

Where do I find or get this Bt8x8 Video4Linux driver?
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone suggested me running my tv with Vmware. Would that work?
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:

The only way to know is to try. I've never done it personally.
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I don't want to go through all that work for nothing and find out it doesn't work. So I wanted to know if someone already managed this feat.
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I don't want to go through all that work for nothing and find out it doesn't work. So I wanted to know if someone already managed this feat.
LOL...ok, man. But that's the very spirit of Linux! It's what drives people to tinker with it! To make it better, and to help others. Who knows, maybe if you try it out, you'll find a way to set it up and help others in the process. Very Happy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has been trying to help me with it because I am totally lost.
toshiRo
Da NiNjA

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

LOL...ok, man. But that's the very spirit of Linux! It's what drives people to tinker with it! To make it better, and to help others. Who knows, maybe if you try it out, you'll find a way to set it up and help others in the process. Very Happy
Trial & Error ~ I learned a lot by that process Very Happy
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toshiRo wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

Trial & Error ~ I learned a lot by that process Very Happy

Yeah but I also learned how to mess it up quite a few times. That's the only thing I find easy about linux. LOL. Razz
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently these are the only ATI tv tuner cards that ATI seems to support for linux at the moment:

Radeon
All-In-Wonder
FireMV
FireGL
Mobility Radeon
Integrated/Motherboard
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Kubuntu rocks! After using it, I didn't want to go back to Windows. That's a first for me to say that.
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on your Ubuntu / Kubuntu experience? Smile
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:

Well it does some funny weird **** with my video card periodically when I log out. Otherwise it's pretty cool. Why of all the OSes did you pick OpenSuse? Any reason for it? What's the difference between a live dvd and a regular one and which one should I get?
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:

Well it does some funny weird **** with my video card periodically when I log out. Otherwise it's pretty cool. Why of all the OSes did you pick OpenSuse? Any reason for it? What's the difference between a live dvd and a regular one and which one should I get?

Back in 2005, Novell visited my university, showcasing SuSE Enterprise Linux, a professionally, pay-for version of the SuSE distribution. I was impressed by the ease of use and unique programs that made it an easy-to-manage OS. It was clean and efficient, and so I looked at openSuSE, downloaded it, ran a server on it for a while, and learned it inside and out. Compared to Mandriva and Fedora, openSuSE was a lot better.

There are primarily two different ways of running a Linux distribution (provided they make them available).

The first is through regular install CDs or a install DVD. This copies all of the necessary programs and files to run Linux onto your hard drive. When you're done, you can set the CDs aside until you need them again to install other software that my not have been put on initially. The only difference between install CDs and an install DVD is the number of discs you use. I don't have a DVD burner, so I have to burn the five install CDs that were available for openSuSE.

The second is through a Live DVD (or in some cases, a Live CD, like Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, etc). This allows you to boot from the DVD, without copying any files to your hard drive. In other words, you can use Linux WITHOUT loosing any data. The downside to Live DVDs is that, unless a person knows how to, you can't save anything to your hard drive.

The choice is really up to you. Do you want to spend the time partitioning your drive and installing? Or would you rather just run it from a DVD, without the hassle?

As I usually tell people, a DVD is easier to work with, but installing has its benefits.
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:

Back in 2005, Novell visited my university, showcasing SuSE Enterprise Linux, a professionally, pay-for version of the SuSE distribution. I was impressed by the ease of use and unique programs that made it an easy-to-manage OS. It was clean and efficient, and so I looked at openSuSE, downloaded it, ran a server on it for a while, and learned it inside and out. Compared to Mandriva and Fedora, openSuSE was a lot better.

There are primarily two different ways of running a Linux distribution (provided they make them available).

The first is through regular install CDs or a install DVD. This copies all of the necessary programs and files to run Linux onto your hard drive. When you're done, you can set the CDs aside until you need them again to install other software that my not have been put on initially. The only difference between install CDs and an install DVD is the number of discs you use. I don't have a DVD burner, so I have to burn the five install CDs that were available for openSuSE.

The second is through a Live DVD (or in some cases, a Live CD, like Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, etc). This allows you to boot from the DVD, without copying any files to your hard drive. In other words, you can use Linux WITHOUT loosing any data. The downside to Live DVDs is that, unless a person knows how to, you can't save anything to your hard drive.

The choice is really up to you. Do you want to spend the time partitioning your drive and installing? Or would you rather just run it from a DVD, without the hassle?

As I usually tell people, a DVD is easier to work with, but installing has its benefits.

Ya, I wasn't too thrilled about Fedora. I don't mind installing and partitioning if I feel I think it's worth the time using it. There's so many Linux OS's that after a while you sort of get turned off. I mean I want to find the very best Linux OS and stick to it but since there's so many I need some help picking out the right one for me.
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Ya, I wasn't too thrilled about Fedora. I don't mind installing and partitioning if I feel I think it's worth the time using it. There's so many Linux OS's that after a while you sort of get turned off. I mean I want to find the very best Linux OS and stick to it but since there's so many I need some help picking out the right one for me.

Well, that's the complicated part. There are certainly "popular" distros, but whether one is better than the other is an eternal debate. What may be good for you now may be horrible down the road. For instance, Mandriva (back in the day called Mandrake) was an AWESOME Linux distribution. Easy to use and understand, it was once what Ubuntu is now. I got turned off of Mandrake when they merged with another vendor. Now I use openSuSE. Maybe in five to ten years, I'll use Gentoo or Debian or (heaven forbid) Slackware.

Yeah, its really confusing to have multiple OSs, but it's all about choice: the ability to choose what you want, when you want it, and how you want it. That's something Microsoft can't give with Windows. It's a great OS, but Windows seriously lacks the ability to customize, both graphically and systematically.
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

Well, that's the complicated part. There are certainly "popular" distros, but whether one is better than the other is an eternal debate. What may be good for you now may be horrible down the road. For instance, Mandriva (back in the day called Mandrake) was an AWESOME Linux distribution. Easy to use and understand, it was once what Ubuntu is now. I got turned off of Mandrake when they merged with another vendor. Now I use openSuSE. Maybe in five to ten years, I'll use Gentoo or Debian or (heaven forbid) Slackware.

Yeah, its really confusing to have multiple OSs, but it's all about choice: the ability to choose what you want, when you want it, and how you want it. That's something Microsoft can't give with Windows. It's a great OS, but Windows seriously lacks the ability to customize, both graphically and systematically.

I have to agree that Windows is hard to customize, unless you get a bunch of patches or programs to do the job, whereas in Linux you can do it in 1 step. Now as for the debate on Linux in general, I'm hoping to find that right one that will do everything I need, in a user friendly way and is popular as well. That will probably be the one for me then. Sort of like finding the right girl. Same sort of idea. So many out there but only one that can make you truly happy.
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some screenshots of Opensuse and it's pretty impressive. It kinda reminds me a little of Kubuntu. Looks very similar. Although my friend says it's very slow and bloated. Is that true? Rolling Eyes
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
I was looking at some screenshots of Opensuse and it's pretty impressive. It kinda reminds me a little of Kubuntu. Looks very similar. Although my friend says it's very slow and bloated. Is that true? Rolling Eyes

That's because kubuntu's default windowing system is KDE, just like the default in openSuSE is KDE.

I run openSuSE 10.2 on a Compaq Presario R4000 CTO with an AMD Sempron 1.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, and an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (128MB Graphics). It's very fast and easy to set up. The hardest part about putting openSuSE on it is trying to get ATI's drivers to cooperate with my external Acer 19" widescreen.

Other than that, it's fast, stable, and has a lot of user-friendly options. I think an OS is bloated only when you can't uninstall things you don't need. Wait, that sounds like Windows! Laughing
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lazi. I got 4 files that came with the torrent I downloaded from the Mandriva website. How do I burn this:

mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.idx
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso.md5.asc
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso.sha1.asc
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Hey Lazi. I got 4 files that came with the torrent I downloaded from the Mandriva website. How do I burn this:

The only one you need to burn is the ISO file. The others are just for integrity verification. Wink
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

The only one you need to burn is the ISO file. The others are just for integrity verification. Wink

Ok thanks. I looked at the OpenSuse distro. Very different and technical. Kinda confusing too at the same time. The menu system I am not too crazy about; the switching of the sections. Otherwise, it's not bad. Tried to get an rpm to work with it but no such luck though. Rolling Eyes
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the package I've been trying to get to work on any rpm system like Fedora, OpenSuse or even Ubuntu/Kubuntu. The author has told me that some people have got it to work in Ubuntu. Well I sure has hell haven't yet.

http://kardsgt.nongnu.org/

It's pretty impressive though.
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried out Mandriva just so I could test-drive Kardsgt. It's not bad actually. I dunno if I wanna stay with it or switch back to Kubuntu or go to OpenSuse. So many OSes to choose from that I get lost after a while deciding. Confused Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Trance Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: