Generation Trance
Vote for GT  at The DJ List! Vote for GT and Project C at The DJ List! Vote for Project C  at The DJ List!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Chat   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Linux
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Trance Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:


Last edited by blueboy on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mistral
Poster


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 492

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes

Boot the computer with the CD in?
_________________
Vocal Trance is the cure for any soul sickness, but one. ... Crying or Very sad
Trance is more than just a beat or it wouldn't be called... Trance!
Add lyrics and you have a key to your inner soul.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes

A LiveCD runs from a CD, hence why it's called "live" (in other words, you don't install it to your computer). You need to burn the ISO file to a CD using a program like UltraISO or other commercial CD burning utilities. NOTE: in order for it to work, you CANNOT BURN IT TO THE CD AS A FILE!!! You must burn it as a CD IMAGE.

Best thing to do is just go here, download the utility (demo), and do it that way:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

1. Put a blank CD-R in your computer
2. Open the ISO image file that you downloaded from Ubuntu
3. In UltraISO, go to the Tools menu > Burn CD/DVD image
4. Click burn.
5. When it ejects the CD, put it back in the computer, restart your computer (making sure your BIOS supports booting from a CD), and it should load up.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes

A LiveCD runs from a CD, hence why it's called "live" (in other words, you don't install it to your computer). You need to burn the ISO file to a CD using a program like UltraISO or other commercial CD burning utilities. NOTE: in order for it to work, you CANNOT BURN IT TO THE CD AS A FILE!!! You must burn it as a CD IMAGE.

Best thing to do is just go here, download the utility (demo), and do it that way:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

1. Put a blank CD-R in your computer
2. Open the ISO image file that you downloaded from Ubuntu
3. In UltraISO, go to the Tools menu > Burn CD/DVD image
4. Click burn.
5. When it ejects the CD, put it back in the computer, restart your computer (making sure your BIOS supports booting from a CD), and it should load up.


Apparently my computer does not allow booting from a dvd drive. That's why it won't work. Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes

A LiveCD runs from a CD, hence why it's called "live" (in other words, you don't install it to your computer). You need to burn the ISO file to a CD using a program like UltraISO or other commercial CD burning utilities. NOTE: in order for it to work, you CANNOT BURN IT TO THE CD AS A FILE!!! You must burn it as a CD IMAGE.

Best thing to do is just go here, download the utility (demo), and do it that way:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

1. Put a blank CD-R in your computer
2. Open the ISO image file that you downloaded from Ubuntu
3. In UltraISO, go to the Tools menu > Burn CD/DVD image
4. Click burn.
5. When it ejects the CD, put it back in the computer, restart your computer (making sure your BIOS supports booting from a CD), and it should load up.


Apparently my computer does not allow booting from a dvd drive. That's why it won't work. Rolling Eyes
I bet you it does, but the boot order in your BIOS isn't set up properly. EVERY computer I have EVER dealt with since 1995 has been able to boot from a CD or DVD. When your computer first boots (before the windows boot logo), if you hit ESC or F2, F10, or F12 (those are the common setup and/or boot order buttons), you'll probably get a menu, either to setup the boot order, or to boot from the CD/DVD drive itself.

I highly doubt (if not completely disbelieve altogether) that your computer doesn't boot from CDs or DVDs. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mistral
Poster


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 492

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Lazy I said, check your boot sequence in the BIOS. The key you need to press to access your BIOS is usually written down the screen when the computer is doing the memory check. Your BIOS must be set on HD 1st or Floppy 1st then HD 2nd. Best is to set Floppy 1st, any optical drive you may have on your computer 2nd, then 3rd, any hard drive you might have.

So... clearer...

Right now, it must be set like :

1: HD
2: Optical drive

OR

1: Floppy
2: HD
3: Optical drive;

Change this to

1: Floppy
2: Optical drive
3: HD.

There might be a few more options as well like USB device or something.
_________________
Vocal Trance is the cure for any soul sickness, but one. ... Crying or Very sad
Trance is more than just a beat or it wouldn't be called... Trance!
Add lyrics and you have a key to your inner soul.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes

A LiveCD runs from a CD, hence why it's called "live" (in other words, you don't install it to your computer). You need to burn the ISO file to a CD using a program like UltraISO or other commercial CD burning utilities. NOTE: in order for it to work, you CANNOT BURN IT TO THE CD AS A FILE!!! You must burn it as a CD IMAGE.

Best thing to do is just go here, download the utility (demo), and do it that way:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

1. Put a blank CD-R in your computer
2. Open the ISO image file that you downloaded from Ubuntu
3. In UltraISO, go to the Tools menu > Burn CD/DVD image
4. Click burn.
5. When it ejects the CD, put it back in the computer, restart your computer (making sure your BIOS supports booting from a CD), and it should load up.


Apparently my computer does not allow booting from a dvd drive. That's why it won't work. Rolling Eyes
I bet you it does, but the boot order in your BIOS isn't set up properly. EVERY computer I have EVER dealt with since 1995 has been able to boot from a CD or DVD. When your computer first boots (before the windows boot logo), if you hit ESC or F2, F10, or F12 (those are the common setup and/or boot order buttons), you'll probably get a menu, either to setup the boot order, or to boot from the CD/DVD drive itself.

I highly doubt (if not completely disbelieve altogether) that your computer doesn't boot from CDs or DVDs. Wink


Well then answer this. When I set it to Cdrom Drive to boot it says:

Press f1 to reboot or f2 for setup

If I press f1 then it says:

Press f1 to reboot or f2 for setup

If I press f2 then it just takes me back to the bios setup again
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistral wrote:
As Lazy I said, check your boot sequence in the BIOS. The key you need to press to access your BIOS is usually written down the screen when the computer is doing the memory check. Your BIOS must be set on HD 1st or Floppy 1st then HD 2nd. Best is to set Floppy 1st, any optical drive you may have on your computer 2nd, then 3rd, any hard drive you might have.

So... clearer...

Right now, it must be set like :

1: HD
2: Optical drive

OR

1: Floppy
2: HD
3: Optical drive;

Change this to

1: Floppy
2: Optical drive
3: HD.

There might be a few more options as well like USB device or something.


No actually mine says:

Boot Sequence:

1. Cdrom Drive
2. Hard Drive
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mistral
Poster


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 492

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing...

He tries to boot on the other optical drive, the one without the CD in? Concidering you have two optical drive.
_________________
Vocal Trance is the cure for any soul sickness, but one. ... Crying or Very sad
Trance is more than just a beat or it wouldn't be called... Trance!
Add lyrics and you have a key to your inner soul.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes

A LiveCD runs from a CD, hence why it's called "live" (in other words, you don't install it to your computer). You need to burn the ISO file to a CD using a program like UltraISO or other commercial CD burning utilities. NOTE: in order for it to work, you CANNOT BURN IT TO THE CD AS A FILE!!! You must burn it as a CD IMAGE.

Best thing to do is just go here, download the utility (demo), and do it that way:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

1. Put a blank CD-R in your computer
2. Open the ISO image file that you downloaded from Ubuntu
3. In UltraISO, go to the Tools menu > Burn CD/DVD image
4. Click burn.
5. When it ejects the CD, put it back in the computer, restart your computer (making sure your BIOS supports booting from a CD), and it should load up.


Apparently my computer does not allow booting from a dvd drive. That's why it won't work. Rolling Eyes
I bet you it does, but the boot order in your BIOS isn't set up properly. EVERY computer I have EVER dealt with since 1995 has been able to boot from a CD or DVD. When your computer first boots (before the windows boot logo), if you hit ESC or F2, F10, or F12 (those are the common setup and/or boot order buttons), you'll probably get a menu, either to setup the boot order, or to boot from the CD/DVD drive itself.

I highly doubt (if not completely disbelieve altogether) that your computer doesn't boot from CDs or DVDs. Wink


Well then answer this. When I set it to Cdrom Drive to boot it says:

Press f1 to reboot or f2 for setup

If I press f1 then it says:

Press f1 to reboot or f2 for setup

If I press f2 then it just takes me back to the bios setup again

What kind of computer are you running? Custom built or store bought? If you can give me a make and model (or even the name of the BIOS and the revision numbers), I can probably get you an answer quicker. Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistral wrote:
Guessing...

He tries to boot on the other optical drive, the one without the CD in? Concidering you have two optical drive.


No I only have 1 external and 1 internal. The internal one is D and the external one is E. I use D for playback and E for burning only.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:


Last edited by blueboy on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Can someone tell me how to install Ubuntu? I downloaded the live cd but I can't seem to get it to install. Is there a certain way to install it? Rolling Eyes

A LiveCD runs from a CD, hence why it's called "live" (in other words, you don't install it to your computer). You need to burn the ISO file to a CD using a program like UltraISO or other commercial CD burning utilities. NOTE: in order for it to work, you CANNOT BURN IT TO THE CD AS A FILE!!! You must burn it as a CD IMAGE.

Best thing to do is just go here, download the utility (demo), and do it that way:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

1. Put a blank CD-R in your computer
2. Open the ISO image file that you downloaded from Ubuntu
3. In UltraISO, go to the Tools menu > Burn CD/DVD image
4. Click burn.
5. When it ejects the CD, put it back in the computer, restart your computer (making sure your BIOS supports booting from a CD), and it should load up.


Apparently my computer does not allow booting from a dvd drive. That's why it won't work. Rolling Eyes
I bet you it does, but the boot order in your BIOS isn't set up properly. EVERY computer I have EVER dealt with since 1995 has been able to boot from a CD or DVD. When your computer first boots (before the windows boot logo), if you hit ESC or F2, F10, or F12 (those are the common setup and/or boot order buttons), you'll probably get a menu, either to setup the boot order, or to boot from the CD/DVD drive itself.

I highly doubt (if not completely disbelieve altogether) that your computer doesn't boot from CDs or DVDs. Wink


Well then answer this. When I set it to Cdrom Drive to boot it says:

Press f1 to reboot or f2 for setup

If I press f1 then it says:

Press f1 to reboot or f2 for setup

If I press f2 then it just takes me back to the bios setup again

What kind of computer are you running? Custom built or store bought? If you can give me a make and model (or even the name of the BIOS and the revision numbers), I can probably get you an answer quicker. Smile


I got it from Dell. It was a free offer deal with Dell and my ISP company for a 3 year contract of high speed adsl internet. The computer is a Dell Dimension 1100 Desktop.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mistral
Poster


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 492

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Guessing...

He tries to boot on the other optical drive, the one without the CD in? Concidering you have two optical drive.


No I only have 1 external and 1 internal. The internal one is D and the external one is E. I use D for playback and E for burning only.

Well... that's two optical drive. Wink
_________________
Vocal Trance is the cure for any soul sickness, but one. ... Crying or Very sad
Trance is more than just a beat or it wouldn't be called... Trance!
Add lyrics and you have a key to your inner soul.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistral wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Guessing...

He tries to boot on the other optical drive, the one without the CD in? Concidering you have two optical drive.


No I only have 1 external and 1 internal. The internal one is D and the external one is E. I use D for playback and E for burning only.

Well... that's two optical drive. Wink


Ya but I only use 1 of each for different purposes. It's set to use D which won't boot for some reason. Oh it runs programs and regular cds just fine though.
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdkmr2
Poster


Joined: 24 Oct 2004
Posts: 22
Location: Canada, eh

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just want to use the internet/IM or do some office work I go with Windows. I find Linux is annoying to use unless what I am doing demands Linux. Sadly MS Office suite is way better than Open Office.

Check out VMWare if you want to switch around operating systems. I am yet to find Windows emulation for Linux that doesn't make me want to end my life.
_________________
Welfare cheque in the mailbox, Escalade in the driveway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my friend suggested me to switch over to Linux because everything is free. There is no need to worry about nags or registering software. That's the main reason I'm converting. Plus the programs I've seen for Linux so far are really awesome. Razz
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mistral
Poster


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 492

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'd say you missed something when you burned your CD. Wink Try with any boot CD. If it's booting on the CD (example, Windows CD), then it's your Ubuntu CDs the problem. Wink
_________________
Vocal Trance is the cure for any soul sickness, but one. ... Crying or Very sad
Trance is more than just a beat or it wouldn't be called... Trance!
Add lyrics and you have a key to your inner soul.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistral wrote:
Then I'd say you missed something when you burned your CD. Wink Try with any boot CD. If it's booting on the CD (example, Windows CD), then it's your Ubuntu CDs the problem. Wink


It's ok. It worked. I forgot to make a bootable dvd when I burned it the first time. So this time I did. But when I rebooted the computer, a 1/4 way through it stopped at an A:\ prompt and I couldn't type or nothing it just froze. It said something about Dr. Caldera Dos. Whatever the hell that means. Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
...something about Dr. Caldera...

GAHHH!!! SCO!! KILL IT! HIT IT WITH A STICK!! GET IT AWAY!!! Gaahhhh!!!

*runs away screaming*

--------------------------------
The above post was meant to be humorous. If nobody got that, I apologize. >.<
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mistral
Poster


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 492

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pock it...?

Laughing
_________________
Vocal Trance is the cure for any soul sickness, but one. ... Crying or Very sad
Trance is more than just a beat or it wouldn't be called... Trance!
Add lyrics and you have a key to your inner soul.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to re-download it again and this time my friend says don't extract it. So I burned it onto a cd and it works fine now. The only question I am having trouble is with the partition question. I'm keeping my Windows on and I have never done a dual os booting system. So which do I go with?

1. Guided - Total Hard Drive Space (Can't Do This Because I Want To Keep Windows On)

2. Guided - Most Possible Free Space

3. Manual - How Much?

here's my stats at the moment:

I have about 63 gb free space or so. So help me out here please. I am new to Linux and setting up a new operating system. Be gentle and patient with me as I am slow to catching on to these new things. Thanks.

Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdkmr2
Poster


Joined: 24 Oct 2004
Posts: 22
Location: Canada, eh

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
I had to re-download it again and this time my friend says don't extract it. So I burned it onto a cd and it works fine now. The only question I am having trouble is with the partition question. I'm keeping my Windows on and I have never done a dual os booting system. So which do I go with?

1. Guided - Total Hard Drive Space (Can't Do This Because I Want To Keep Windows On)

2. Guided - Most Possible Free Space

3. Manual - How Much?

here's my stats at the moment:

I have about 63 gb free space or so. So help me out here please. I am new to Linux and setting up a new operating system. Be gentle and patient with me as I am slow to catching on to these new things. Thanks.

Rolling Eyes


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GWQgb015Lc

Dude, this video will walk you through everything!
_________________
Welfare cheque in the mailbox, Escalade in the driveway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
I had to re-download it again and this time my friend says don't extract it. So I burned it onto a cd and it works fine now. The only question I am having trouble is with the partition question. I'm keeping my Windows on and I have never done a dual os booting system. So which do I go with?

1. Guided - Total Hard Drive Space (Can't Do This Because I Want To Keep Windows On)

2. Guided - Most Possible Free Space

3. Manual - How Much?

here's my stats at the moment:

I have about 63 gb free space or so. So help me out here please. I am new to Linux and setting up a new operating system. Be gentle and patient with me as I am slow to catching on to these new things. Thanks.

Rolling Eyes
Well, by default when Windows XP is installed, it eats EVERYTHING on the hard drive. In other words, you have NO SPACE to work with. So, you either have to reinstall Windows with a smaller partition (which, with Dells, I don't think is possible because they have a CD image of XP they install), or you need to resize your partition.

WARNING: YOU ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK AFTER THIS POINT! BACKUP EVERYTHING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU BECAUSE IF YOU LOOSE DATA, WE CANNOT HELP YOU, NOR BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!!!

The safest way of partitioning your hard drive is by using GParted LiveCD:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I suggest reading HOW to use it before actually using it. There are plenty of documents on their site that explains the exact steps to resizing your partitions, so read those before you ask questions, because, quite frankly, they have more knowledge than I do, and explain it a lot better than I can.

Once you get everything partitioned, we'll proceed from there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blueboy
Da Unsure


Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 2018
Location: Lost In Trance

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
Well, by default when Windows XP is installed, it eats EVERYTHING on the hard drive. In other words, you have NO SPACE to work with. So, you either have to reinstall Windows with a smaller partition (which, with Dells, I don't think is possible because they have a CD image of XP they install), or you need to resize your partition.


Yeah speaking of that, is there a way to make a copy of the cd image to disc so therefore I will have a backup copy?

DJ Lazi I wrote:
WARNING: YOU ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK AFTER THIS POINT! BACKUP EVERYTHING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU BECAUSE IF YOU LOOSE DATA, WE CANNOT HELP YOU, NOR BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!!!


Well I kinda figured that out. I do know that much about computers though.

DJ Lazi I wrote:
The safest way of partitioning your hard drive is by using GParted LiveCD:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I suggest reading HOW to use it before actually using it. There are plenty of documents on their site that explains the exact steps to resizing your partitions, so read those before you ask questions, because, quite frankly, they have more knowledge than I do, and explain it a lot better than I can.

Once you get everything partitioned, we'll proceed from there.


You mean Gnome right? How many partitions do I make for Ubuntu? 1 or 2? Rolling Eyes
_________________
Blueboy :unsure:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Other places

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Yeah speaking of that, is there a way to make a copy of the cd image to disc so therefore I will have a backup copy?

I'm not sure. You probably can in Linux, but in Windows, I don't think it's possible because you have to mount the partition.

blueboy wrote:
You mean Gnome right? How many partitions do I make for Ubuntu? 1 or 2? Rolling Eyes

One. Ubuntu will partition the free space on its own when you go through that phase.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Trance Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Powered by CloudFlare