Generation Trance
Vote for GT  at The DJ List! Vote for GT and Project C at The DJ List! Vote for Project C  at The DJ List!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Chat   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Yeah speaking of that, is there a way to make a copy of the cd image to disc so therefore I will have a backup copy?

I'm not sure. You probably can in Linux, but in Windows, I don't think it's possible because you have to mount the partition.

blueboy wrote:
You mean Gnome right? How many partitions do I make for Ubuntu? 1 or 2? Rolling Eyes

One. Ubuntu will partition the free space on its own when you go through that phase.

Well I tried using the "Guided - Use all free space available" and it said it couldn't make my partition due to problems creating it. I don't know why though. So I guess I will have to do it manually. Rolling Eyes
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my guess is you either haven't had a chance to play with Linux after your last post, OR, you screwed up your computer (which would be unfortunate).

Don't worry, i did it several times before I learned... Embarassed Embarassed
Poster

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the worst case, you'll have to do a low-level format which will bring back the disk into an original state, before everything has been installed on it, like if you just have bought it. Wink Well... need your manufacturer (probably Maxtor or Western Digital, most common) software then a couple of hours to proceed. Razz After then, just take Dell's CDs to build up your system once again. Wink
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
Well, my guess is you either haven't had a chance to play with Linux after your last post, OR, you screwed up your computer (which would be unfortunate).

Well I got it working but I deleted the bottom panel (taskbar) by mistake. Do you know how I can get it back? It says if you delete it, all its settings will also be removed. Another thing Mythtv won't work with ATI cards or does it? Rolling Eyes
mdkmr2
Poster

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:

Well I got it working but I deleted the bottom panel (taskbar) by mistake. Do you know how I can get it back? It says if you delete it, all its settings will also be removed. Another thing Mythtv won't work with ATI cards or does it? Rolling Eyes

Configuring video cards in Linux. It's how they torture people in countrties with little human rights laws.
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdkmr2 wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:

Configuring video cards in Linux. It's how they torture people in countrties with little human rights laws.

Well I found out there's no support for ATI in Linux at the moment and doubt there ever will be. It's sad though. I think it's a great tv tuner. Rolling Eyes
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get viruses on Linux? Rolling Eyes

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."

They're called "proof of concept" viruses, meaning, it's possible to create them for linux, but they haven't appeared yet in the wild.

But in reality, virus writers aren't going to write something that will affect their own systems... Wink
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

They're called "proof of concept" viruses, meaning, it's possible to create them for linux, but they haven't appeared yet in the wild.

But in reality, virus writers aren't going to write something that will affect their own systems... Wink

Well why not? They've been doing it for windows for years. Not that I support viruses in any way whatsoever, but it is a fact, isn't it? Rolling Eyes
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

Well why not? They've been doing it for windows for years. Not that I support viruses in any way whatsoever, but it is a fact, isn't it? Rolling Eyes
Reread what I said:
What I said wrote:
This is probably the easiest way to explain it. In more complicated terms, it's difficult to get a unsuspecting user to execute a malicious program in Linux. The levels of security are so far superior to Windows that it would take too much work. Finally, how many people do you know (realistically) who use Linux? Maybe a dozen. How many do you know who use Windows? Probably several dozen. So, if I'm a hacker / virus writer, I want to steal as much information as I can in one blow. Am I going to go after just a couple of boxes with high levels of protection, or am I going to go for a maximum payload of information from a bunch of unprotected Windows XP boxes? And believe me (because I've been in the industry since I was 14), there are a TON of people who don't know what a firewall is. They don't know how or what to do with their antivirus software. So you see...easy targets...you'd have to be going after something pretty important to attack a Linux box, which, by the way, a lot of companies are using these days, along with other *nix variations (Unix, Linux, BSD, etc).
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I used Ubuntu for 2 weeks and got so tired having to put up with being totally lost half of the time and trying to find the right programs to work with my programs. So I deleted it and went back to Windows instead. Rolling Eyes
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend told me I could try using VMware with my ATI TV. Do you think it will work? Rolling Eyes
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
My friend told me I could try using VMware with my ATI TV. Do you think it will work? Rolling Eyes

Well, the keyword is "trying." That could mean anything from just putting Ubuntu on to writing your own drivers for the video card.

As it stands now, ATI has horrid support in Linux. That's why I'm posting this from Windows Xp instead of openSuSE.

The best thing to do is look up ATI's website for Linux support. Usually, you can find some information in the driver downloads section.
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

Well, the keyword is "trying." That could mean anything from just putting Ubuntu on to writing your own drivers for the video card.

As it stands now, ATI has horrid support in Linux. That's why I'm posting this from Windows Xp instead of openSuSE.

The best thing to do is look up ATI's website for Linux support. Usually, you can find some information in the driver downloads section.

If I knew that Linux only supported Hauppauge, I would have got it instead. Rolling Eyes
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastica news. For anyone having trouble running an ATI Tv Tuner Card in Ubuntu should read this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238511
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238511&page=2
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora 7 has just been released. I'm not sure what to download though. The dvd or the cd version?
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Fedora 7 has just been released. I'm not sure what to download though. The dvd or the cd version?
Depends on whether you have a CD or DVD burner. The only advantage I can think of is that it's all on one disc.

I say DVD! Smile
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Depends on whether you have a CD or DVD burner. The only advantage I can think of is that it's all on one disc.

I say DVD! Smile

What is all on one disc? The cd is only ~700 and the dvd is ~3.0 so what is included on it?
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I say DVD! Smile

What is all on one disc? The cd is only ~700 and the dvd is ~3.0 so what is included on it?
Um, there are usually 2-4 CD ISOs full of extras (games, wallpapers, programs, drivers, etc) besides the initial ISO CD. A DVD holds all the data from those discs on one, so it makes it easier to install. Smile
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I say DVD! Smile

Um, there are usually 2-4 CD ISOs full of extras (games, wallpapers, programs, drivers, etc) besides the initial ISO CD. A DVD holds all the data from those discs on one, so it makes it easier to install. Smile

I hear Fedora is better than Ubuntu but is harder than Ubuntu. Is this true? Rolling Eyes
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I say DVD! Smile

I hear Fedora is better than Ubuntu but is harder than Ubuntu. Is this true? Rolling Eyes
To be perfectly honest, I have never used Ubuntu, so I can't answer your question honestly, but by all the news reports I've read, Ubuntu has the power AND ease-of-use everyone is looking for.
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I say DVD! Smile

To be perfectly honest, I have never used Ubuntu, so I can't answer your question honestly, but by all the news reports I've read, Ubuntu has the power AND ease-of-use everyone is looking for.

So what do you use then? Redhat? Mandrake?
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have found Ubuntu to be easier in a lot of ways compared to Fedora. That one is so confusing.
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:

I say DVD! Smile

So what do you use then? Redhat? Mandrake?

Woah, sorry about not replying right away.

I personally have used Mandrake (now Mandriva), Fedora, Red Hat, Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, and I've had a taste (meaning, not really worked with) FreeBSD. My Windows alternative, however, is openSuSE.

I use Windows XP primarily because it has great audio hardware support, but if openSuSE or any Unix / Linux distro supported my creative needs, I'd reformat and use Linux only.

And yes, Ubuntu is very easy to use. That's why it's so popular. Smile
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So out of all the distros of Linux, you think Ubuntu is the best? Fedora's giving me a real headache. Ya I like Linux more than Windows Xp but because of certain drawbacks with Linux, I kinda feel the same way about using Windows Xp. My tv won't run in Linux but it runs in Windows Xp. I have an ATI Tv Wonder USB 2.0 external tuner card and apparently ATI hasn't written a linux driver for it yet. I wonder if they ever will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Trance Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: