Generation Trance
Vote for GT  at The DJ List! Vote for GT and Project C at The DJ List! Vote for Project C  at The DJ List!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Chat   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
IPConfig

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: IPConfig Reply with quote

When I run Ipconfig /all, I get my local router address for my dns server. If this is wrong how do I get my remote address dns server instead? Rolling Eyes
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: IPConfig Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
When I run Ipconfig /all, I get my local router address for my dns server. If this is wrong how do I get my remote address dns server instead? Rolling Eyes

Uh....what? What are you attempting to do?

EDIT: WHY I guess is a better question.

Your router (depending upon your ISP giving you an IP address manually vs. using DHCP) should get the DNS info automatically and display it on a status page. Go RTFM that came with your router.

It's not an issue since your router processes everything on the outside world for your computer(s) automatically.

Here's what mine looks like:

Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: IPConfig Reply with quote

Well the reason I asked this is because I needed my DNS Server address for a BBS I'm running. It asks it in the configuration of the software. I can't run the Windows Telnet BBS without a DNS Server Address. Yeah but the problem is the DNS Server section in the Ipconfig used to show my remote address. Now it only shows my local router address instead. So why and how do I fix it? Okay I just did another Ipconfig call and it seems to be back to normal now. Phew. It must be when my ISP Server renews my IP address it must take a bit of time for the DNS Server to be read again I guess. Things were so much easier when I was running a Dos bbs. *sighs* Confused Rolling Eyes

Last edited by blueboy on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mistral
Poster

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: IPConfig Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Well the reason I asked this is because I needed my DNS Server address for a BBS I'm running. It asks it in the configuration of the software. I can't run the Windows Telnet BBS without a DNS Server Address. Yeah but the problem is the DNS Server section in the Ipconfig used to show my remote address. Now it only shows my local router address instead. So why and how do I fix it? Okay I just did another Ipconfig call and it seems to be back to normal now. Phew. It must be when my ISP Server renews my IP address it must take a bit of time for the DNS Server to be read again I guess. Things were so much easier when I was running a Dos bbs. *sighs* Confused Rolling Eyes

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/blueboy4/SynchronetConfig4.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/blueboy4/DYNDNSTimedEvent.jpg

You wouldn't have access to the internet if you router didn't know any DNS server to connect to. He must know it. In your router, it's usually on the status page or whatever it's called (access it via 192.168.0.1 or .0.2 or .1.1... depends)
blueboy
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: IPConfig Reply with quote

Mistral wrote:
blueboy wrote:

You wouldn't have access to the internet if you router didn't know any DNS server to connect to. He must know it. In your router, it's usually on the status page or whatever it's called (access it via 192.168.0.1 or .0.2 or .1.1... depends)

Well if that's the case then, why does it take several hours for Ipconfig to read the dns server after you've renewed your ip address? Rolling Eyes
DJ Lazi I
Da Binary Man

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: IPConfig Reply with quote

blueboy wrote:
Mistral wrote:
blueboy wrote:

Well if that's the case then, why does it take several hours for Ipconfig to read the dns server after you've renewed your ip address? Rolling Eyes

That's just it, though: if you're connected directly to a modem, it should come up. If you're connected to a router, it should display the private network DNS instead. At no point (in my 7+ years of private / home networking) have I seen a hardware based router display DNS (other than the suffix) in Windows. The only time I've seen it do that was using a software-based router called pfsense.

Did you have internet access during the time you were trying to get it to come up?

Also, you might want to check the ToS or AUP (Terms of Service / Acceptable Use Policy) with your ISP. While I doubt too much data can be transfered, your account might be flagged, and you could be suspended, if not completely terminated from your ISP completely...and WITHOUT WARNING.

The only reason I mention that is because Comcast and Verizon (down here in the states) have started shutting people off for using a certain ammount of bandwidth, without telling the end-user what that limit is.
Da Unsure

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: IPConfig Reply with quote

DJ Lazi I wrote:
blueboy wrote:
Mistral wrote:
blueboy wrote:

That's just it, though: if you're connected directly to a modem, it should come up. If you're connected to a router, it should display the private network DNS instead. At no point (in my 7+ years of private / home networking) have I seen a hardware based router display DNS (other than the suffix) in Windows. The only time I've seen it do that was using a software-based router called pfsense.

Did you have internet access during the time you were trying to get it to come up?

Also, you might want to check the ToS or AUP (Terms of Service / Acceptable Use Policy) with your ISP. While I doubt too much data can be transfered, your account might be flagged, and you could be suspended, if not completely terminated from your ISP completely...and WITHOUT WARNING.

The only reason I mention that is because Comcast and Verizon (down here in the states) have started shutting people off for using a certain ammount of bandwidth, without telling the end-user what that limit is.

No everything is fine now. It just takes a few hours after you renew the ip address for the Ipconfig to be able to read the Dns Server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Trance Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: